Employer Payment Summary (EPS)
It contains supplementary information that HMRC uses to get a fuller picture of the employer’s PAYE and NIC liability.
The EPS process incorporates the recording of P32 payment details.
An EPS is necessary when details of the PAYE and NIC liabilities contained in your FPS submissions are impacted by statutory payments and external payroll values.
So an EPS submission is not required if:the EPS year-to-date values:
- Are zero
- Have not changed since the previous month
An EPS is also unnecessary if no employees have been processed for payment in the relevant tax month. (That is, if no FPS submissions have been made in the tax month).
Use this checklist to ensure that you have covered all the necessary stages when you are preparing and submitting an EPS.
|Stage 1||Complete the tax month or quarter
I’ve completed every pay run in the relevant tax month or quarter.
Tip: Tax months run from the 6th of one month to the 5th of the next, such as from April 6 to May 5.
If the company’s monthly P32 liability is less than £1,500, the company can opt to pay the P32 on a Quarterly basis. You can see this option using HMRC Reporting Period in the Sage One Business Settings screen. Contact HMRC for more information.
|Stage 2||Is a P32/EPS due?
I’ve checked that a P32/EPS submission is due.
There are two ways to check this:
* In the Summary tab’s ‘HMRC Real Time Information (RTI) Scheme’ panel.
* In the Completed Pay Run screen ‘HMRC Real Time Information (RTI) Scheme’ panel when you are viewing the last pay period of the tax month or quarter.
|Stage 3||Check EPS values
In the EPS submission wizard, I’ve checked that the values due to HMRC are correct, and made any necessary adjustments.
|Stage 4||Has the submission gone to HMRC?
I’ve checked that the EPS submission has reached HMRC.
When you are in the relevant pay run, you can check whether the submission has been successful in the Pay tab’s ‘Real Time Information (RTI) Scheme’ panel.
If the submission failed, click Resolve Issue to find out what to do to resolve the problem.
The most common reason for failure is Error 1046: HMRC doesn’t recognise your company details or your Government Gateway credentials.
To address this particular problem, click Re-Submit and carry out the submission again, making sure these details are correct. You may need to deselect the Use saved HMRC Login checkbox to verify the details.
To make a P32/EPS submission to HMRC during the normal course of the tax year (not Payroll Year End), carry out the steps that follow.
- 1. Open the Summary screen (or the relevant pay run’s Completed Pay Run screen).
- 2. Check the current P32/EPS status.
This status becomes Payment (P32 / EPS) is due when all the pay runs in the current P32 reporting period are completed.
- 3. ‘Payment (P32/EPS) is due’ button > Specify the necessary P32 Payment details.
- 4. Specify the bank account from which the P32 payment will be made.
- 5. Next button > Check that the YTD balances are correct
Make any necessary adjustments relating to the current month or quarter.
In the 2012/2013 tax year you had to enter any relevant amount in the ‘Amount of Advance(s) received from HMRC’ field.
However, as of the 2013/2014 tax year this is no longer necessary.
- 6. Next button > Confirm that the correct P32/EPS payment amount is specified
- 7. Next button > Confirm company details and your Government Gateway login credentials
- 8. Click Submit.
(If an EPS is not actually required, the ‘Post P32 Values’ button is shown instead.)
Now that the EPS submission is complete, check the RTI panel in the Summary screen for the current status of the submission.