Create a sales credit note
If you provide a customer with a credit note (for example, because they returned faulty goods), you can easily record this from within the original sales invoice.
You can record a credit note against any unpaid invoice with an outstanding balance. You cannot create a standalone credit note.
Before creating a credit note
You can no longer edit credit notes after saving them, so be sure to enter the correct information during creation. If you need to edit a saved credit note, you must create a sales invoice with the same information as the incorrect credit note to cancel it. You can then create another credit note with the correct information.
To create a credit note:
- 1. Go to Sales.
- 2. Locate and open the invoice you want to work on. If you can’t find the invoice, verify that the date range includes the date of the invoice, and click the All tab or the Outstanding tab.
- 3. Review the invoice details and then click Add Credit Note on the right.
- 4. Enter the date you want to use for the credit note, and if required, a reference.
- 5. If you need to, edit the address.
- 6. If you need to credit part of the invoice, edit the amount so it shows the value you are crediting.
- 7. If there are multiple items on the invoice, to remove any you do not want to credit, click Delete next to the relevant item.
- 8. Click Save Credit Note. The credit note appears in your Sales activity list and the contact’s activity list.
To email, print, or view a credit note PDF:
- 1. Go to Sales.
- 2. Locate the credit note you want to work with on the list and then select the check box to the left of it.
- 3. Click Print, Email, or View PDF.
Accounting Start sales credit notes are hosted on the web, which means that your customers receive a hyperlink to their credit note if you email it to them. After clicking the hyperlink, they can review the credit note, save it as a PDF, or print it. They can also perform these functions if they open the credit note on a mobile device.