Import your contacts
To save time when setting up your accounts, you can import your contacts using Comma Separated Value (CSV) files. CSV files are files held in a standard windows format that other software can use. They’re therefore often used to transfer information between different software such as Sage and Microsoft Excel.
To save an Excel file as csv, from within the workbook, open the File menu > Save As > Save as type > CSV (Comma delimited)(*.csv).
If required, you can also import your product and service records using CSV files.
When importing contacts, the import file must be in the correct format. To ensure the file is in the correct format, you can download the template CSV file from the link below or as part of the import routine. The template CSV file includes an example of what you need to enter in each column.
To import your contact records, the CSV file needs to be in the following format:
To ensure your information imports successfully, you must include a header row in your CSV file, using the same headings as in the Field name column below.
|A||Name||Text||50||This is only compulsory if column B is blank.|
|B||Company||Text||50||This is only compulsory if column A is blank.|
|G||Primary Address 1||Text||50||No|
|H||Primary Address 2||Text||50||No|
|L||Primary Country||Text||2 – For example, GB for Great Britain or IE for Ireland||No|
|M||Delivery Address 1||Text||50||No|
|N||Delivery Address 2||Text||50||No|
|R||Delivery Country||Text||2 – For example, GB for Great Britain (UK) or IE for Ireland||No|
- 1. Contacts > Import Contacts > choose Customers or Suppliers.
You can also import contacts from Contacts > Customers or Suppliers > Import Customers or Import Suppliers.
- 2. If required, to download the template > click the download a template csv file here link.
Depending on your Internet browser, one of the following happens:
- The file opens in Microsoft Excel.
- The file downloads automatically to your Downloads folder > browse to your Downloads folder and open the file.
- You’re prompted to open or save the file > Open.
If you’ve already created a CSV file without using the template, you must download the template and check your file is in the correct format. If it isn’t, before continuing, you must amend your file so it matches the template. If you don’t, the import can fail. The second line of the template shows an example of what you should enter. You should delete this line before importing your contacts into Sage One. Do not amend the column headings.
- 3. Enter the required information > File > Save As.
- 4. Browse to the location in which you want to save your file, for example your Windows desktop.
- 5. Save as type > CSV (Comma delimited)(*CSV) > Save > close the file.
- 6. From within Sage One > Browse or Choose File > browse to your CSV file > Open > Upload.
You can’t use Sage One while the data is uploading.
If for any reason the upload fails, a message appears advising why it’s failed. You should fix the errors then try uploading the CSV file again.
You’ve successfully imported your contacts and they appear on the contacts list.
If you haven’t already done so, you can also import your products and services.