To create and edit an employee's record
To help you manage your employees’ information, you create records for them. You can enter their personal details, contact details, employment and tax details.
- 1. Go to Employees, then click Create Employee.
Any options marked with an asterisk are mandatory, you must fill them in. For more information about each option on the employee record, please refer to the section, Options available within the employee record
- 2. Under Personal Details, enter the employee’s name, PPS number, date of birth and gender.
- 3. Under Contact Details, enter the employee’s address, telephone number and email address.
If you want to email payslips to this employee, enter their email address and set a password. The employee requires this password to view any payslips you send them by email.
- 4. Under Employment Details, in the Pay Cycle list, click the pay frequency you want to pay the employee.
For example, if you want to pay the employee each week, choose Weekly.
- 5. In the Start Date box, enter the date that the employee starts working with your company.
- 6. In the Payment Method list, click the relevant payment option.
If you select Bank Transfer, you must enter the employee’s account name, IBAN and BIC.
- 7. Under Current Tax Details, in the PRSI Code list, click the relevant code.
If you’re unsure of what PRSI code to select, contact the Department of Social Protection.
- 8. In the Tax Status list, click Emergency.
- 9. Under Previous Tax Details, in the Starting basis list, click one of the following options:
- This is an existing employee.
- P45 presented with previous employment values.
- No P45 available.
- 10. Click Save.
- 11. Within the Employees tab, check the Status column. If any further action is needed to make the employee active, this shows here.
|Starter (requires P45 Part 3)||You must submit a P45 Part 3 to Revenue for this employee.|
|Starter (requires P46)||You must submit a P46 to Revenue for this employee.|
The employee is active on your payroll, and you can start processing their pay details.
You can’t add an employee to a completed pay run. If you need to do this, please contact Sage technical support for help. Our support team may be able to suggest a workaround for you.
- 1. Go to the Employees tab, then click on the relevant employee.
- 2. Click the Edit button.
- 3. Make the necessary changes, click Save.
|Personal Details||This is the basic information about the new employee, including their personal public service (PPS) number.|
|Contact Details||The employee’s postal address, telephone number and e-mail address and password to protect email payslips.|
|Pay Cycle||The employee’s pay frequency. This can be weekly, two-weekly, four-weekly or monthly.|
|Works Number||The unique code that identifies the employee in the company.|
|Start Date||The date on which the employee started employment with your company.|
|Finish Date||If applicable, the date on which the employee finished employment with your company.
If you specify a finish date on an employee’s record, they are marked as a leaver in the software.
|Payment Method||The method by which the employee wants to receive their pay.|
|PRSI Code||The employee’s pay related social insurance (PRSI) code. Also known as PRSI class. It’s used to calculate the employee’s PRSI liability in each pay run.|
|Tax Status||The tax status determines how an employee’s tax liability should calculate throughout the year.|
|Std Cut-Off (Yearly)||The standard rate cut-off value for the whole tax year.
You can find the weekly or monthly cut-off point value on the employee’s P45. To get the yearly value, multiply this by 12 or 52, as appropriate.
|Tax Credits (Yearly)||The value of tax credits for the whole tax year.
You can find the weekly or monthly tax credit value on the employee’s P45. To get the yearly value, multiply this by 12 or 52, as appropriate.
|Marginal Relief Rate||If the employee is liable to pay tax at the marginal relief rate, select this check box.|
|Director||If the employee is a director of your company, select this check box.|
|Leaving Date||The date on which the employee left or will leave your employment. This option isn’t available when you’re setting up a new employee.|
|Starting basis||* This is an existing employee
If you’re setting up an employee whose already worked for you in the current tax year, select this option.
* P45 presented with previous employment values – P45 Part 3 submission required
If you’re setting up an employee and they’ve had previous employments in the current tax year, select this option.
By selecting this option, you can specify the following values:
- Total Pay to date: The total amount of pay the employee has received in previous employments for the current tax year.
- Total Tax to date: The total amount of tax the employee has paid in previous employments for the current tax year.
- USC Pay to date: The total amount of pay the employee has received in previous employments for the current tax year that is subject to the universal social charge (USC).
- USC Paid to date: The total amount of USC the employee has paid in previous employments for the current tax year.
You must submit a P45 (part 3) to Revenue for this employee.
* No P45 available – P46 submission required
Select this option, if you’re setting up an employee whose either:
- Starting employment with your company and hasn’t had any other employments in the current tax year.
- Already has another job, and will retain it after starting in your employment.
You must submit a P46 to Revenue for this employee.
If a new employee already has a job with another company and will retain it while working for your company, they must contact Revenue.
Revenue confirms how the employee’s tax allowances should be split between the two employments.
When you’re setting the employee up in your software, complete the following steps:
- 1. Go to the Employees tab, then click Create Employee.
For more information about each option on the employee record, please refer to the previous section.
- 2. Enter the employee’s personal details, contact details, employment details and current tax details.
When you’re setting their tax status, click Emergency.
- 3. Under Previous Tax Details, in the Starting basis list, click No P45 available – P46 submission required.
- 4. Click Save.
- 5. From the Employees tab, click the relevant employee to open their record.
- 6. Click Submit P46 to ROS.
Depending on your Internet browser, the file automatically downloads to your Downloads folder or you’re prompted to save the file. Browse to where you want to save the file.
You’ve successfully produced the P46 file which you can now upload to the ROS website.
If you have any queries about how to do this, please contact the ROS helpdesk directly:
- By phone +353 1 702 3021
- By email email@example.com
Once the Revenue receive the P46 new starter file, they issue a P2C tax credit certificate file specific to the new employee. You can download this P2C file directly from the ROS website and import it into Payroll.
If you must pay the employee before you receive the P2C file from the Revenue, the employee must be on emergency tax status.