Create a sales credit note
If you provide a customer with a credit note, for example because they returned faulty goods, you can easily record this from within the original sales invoice. You can record a credit note against any invoice with an outstanding balance. You can’t create a standalone credit note.
- 1. Go to Sales Invoices then click the required invoice.
If you can’t find the invoice, check the date range includes the date of the invoice and click the All or Outstanding tabs.
- 2. On the More menu, click Create Credit Note.
- 3. Enter the date you want to use for the credit note and if required a reference.
- 4. If you need to, amend the address.
- 5. If you need to credit part of the invoice, amend the amount so it shows the value you’re crediting.
- 6. If there are mutliple items on the invoice, to remove any you don’t want to credit, click delete next to the relevant item.
- 7. Click one of the following options:
- Save – Saves and closes the credit note.
- Save & Email – Amend the text as required then click Send.
- Save & Print – Depending on your browser, the invoice opens in a new window or tab and you can print it from your browser menu.