Import your contacts into Sage
If you regularly deal with the same customers and suppliers, you can either manually create their records or you can import them into Sage Business Cloud Accounting using Comma Separated Value (CSV) files.
To help you import your contacts, we’ve created a CSV template which you can download as part of the import routine. To download the template now, click the link below:
If you are importing from another software you can visit Moving to Sage Business Cloud Accounting to help get started.
If you want to import both customers and suppliers, you must create one CSV file for your customers and another for your suppliers. The maximum file size you can import is 0.5MB. Once created, check your CSV file in the correct format.
When you’re ready to import your contacts, please complete the following steps:
- 1. Go to Contacts, then do one of the following:
- To import customer records – Click New Customer arrow then click Import Customers.
- To import supplier records – Click New Supplier arrow then click Import Suppliers.
- 2. To download the CSV template, click the a template CSV here link.
Depending on your Internet browser, the CSV file automatically downloads to your Downloads folder, or you’re prompted to save it. If prompted, browse to where you want to save the file then click Save.
If you’ve already created a CSV file without using the template, you should download the template and check your file is in the correct format, including the header row, as the import can fail if not. If your file isn’t in the right format, you must amend it now then go to step 5.
- 3. Open the CSV file in Microsoft Excel, then enter the required information.
The template shows examples of what you should enter. You must delete these example lines before importing your records. Don’t amend the column headings.
- 4. To save any changes to the CSV file within Microsoft Excel, go to File then click Save As.
Browse to the location where you want to save the file, for example, the Windows desktop.
In the Save as type list, select CSV (Comma delimited)(CSV) then click Save and close the file.
- 5. Within the Import Customers window of Sage Business Cloud Accounting, click Choose File. Browse to where you saved your CSV file, then click Open.
- 6. In the CSV Format list, select one of the following options:
- Sage Instant Accounts – If you’re importing contacts from this software, select this option.
- Accounting – If you’re not importing contacts from Sage Instant Accounts, select this option.
- 7. Click Upload.
You can’t use any other areas of Sage Business Cloud Accounting while the data is uploading. If for any reason the upload fails, a message advising why it has failed will be displayed. You should fix the errors then try uploading the CSV file again.
- 8. Click OK.
You’ve successfully imported your contacts, and they appear on the contacts list.
If you haven’t already done so, you can also import your products and services.