Create and manage sales credit notes
If you provide a customer with a credit note, for example because they’ve returned faulty goods, you can easily create this from the original invoice. Credit notes can be entered against outstanding values on invoices or where a refund had been recorded.
The Error corrections and refunds guide helps you correct or refund transactions posted in error.
- 1. Sales > Sales Invoices > click the invoice you want to record the credit against.
- 2. Manage Invoice > Create Credit Note.
- 3. Enter the credit date you issue the credit note and if required, a reference for your records > if required, amend the customer’s address.
- 4. If the credit note is for part of the invoice, amend the quantity and unit price accordingly.
- 5. If required, enter any notes.
- 6. To email the credit note > Email > to print the invoice > Print > Save.
If no invoice appears, check your internet browser pop-up blocker to ensure it’s not being blocked.
- 7. If you chose to email the credit note > enter the customer’s email address > enter any information you want to appear in the body of the email > Send.
- 8. If you chose to print the credit note, depending on your Internet browser, it opens in a new window or tab and from here you can print or save it.
The credit note is now recorded and appears in your sale invoices list with a negative value and is showing as paid. The invoice shows as paid or part paid depending on whether you credited all or part of the invoice.
If you’ve already created a credit note, you can use the Manage Credit Note option to email or print it.
- 1. Sales > Sales Invoices > click the required credit note.
Credit notes have an invoice number prefixed by SCN.
- 2. Manage Credit Note > choose one of the following options:
- Email – Enter the customer’s email address > enter any information you want to appear in the body of the email > Send.
- Print – Depending on your Internet browser, the credit note opens in a new window or tab. You can then print or save it from your browser menu.
If you enter a credit note in error, you can’t delete it. Instead, you can void it. Voiding a credit note removes the values for it from Sage One, but it remains in your accounts so the invoice and credit numbers remain sequential and you can view it if required.
If you use the standard VAT scheme and the credit note has been included in a VAT Return, you can’t void it. Instead you need to create another invoice with the same details as the credit note entered in error.
- 1. Sales > Sales Invoices > locate the credit note you want to void.
- 2. Click the void button, next to the relevant credit note.
- 3. Enter the reason you want to void the credit note, for example, Entered in error > Save.
The status of the credit note shows as void and the original invoice now shows the amount of the credit note as outstanding.