Create and manage sales invoices
To help you keep track of what your customers purchase from you, how much they owe you and when payment is due, you can create a sales invoice. You can print the invoice and send it to your customer or email it to them directly.
Before you create an invoice, check you’ve created your customer contact records. If you supply your customers with the same products or services you can also create records for these. If required, you can also import your products and services from a CSV file.
Within Sage One, there’s a variety of invoice layouts to choose from. You can also customise these layouts by adding company and association logos, your terms and conditions and credit information.
- 1. Sales > Sales Invoices > Create Invoice.
- 2. Enter the following information:
|Name *||To search for a customer, enter the customer name > select the contact from the list. To add a new customer, click the create contact button, > enter the relevant information > Save.|
|Invoice Date *||Enter the invoice date.|
|Due Date||Enter the date the invoice is due to be paid.
Note: If you entered customer credit terms in Settings > Accounts Settings > Invoice Settings, the due date calculates automatically. You can overwrite this if required.
|Reference||If required, enter a reference, for example, a purchase order number.|
|Main Address *||If there’s a main address in the customer’s record, this appears automatically. If nothing appears, enter the address here.|
|Delivery Address||If there’s a separate delivery address in the customer’s record, this appears automatically. If nothing appears and it’s the same as the main address, select the Same as main address check box. If the delivery address is different, enter it here.|
|Description *||Enter a description of the item.
Tip: If you have a product or service, enter the name in the search box then select the item. A new item line appears for the product or service and the item code, unit price and VAT rate calculate automatically based on the information entered in the record. All you need to do is amend the quantity. To create a new record, click Create Product or Create Service > complete the relevant information > Save.
|Item Code||Enter the item code for the product or service.|
|Qty||Enter the quantity of items purchased.|
|Unit Price||Enter the net value of the product or service.|
|VAT Rate *||Choose the relevant VAT rate.
Tip: If you don’t have the option to choose a VAT rate, check you’ve entered your VAT scheme correctly in Settings > Account Settings > Financial Settings.
|VAT Amount||This calculates automatically based on the quantity, unit price and VAT rate.|
|Total||This is the total gross value of the goods.|
* These details are compulsory.
- 3. If you need to enter more products or services, enter these on the next available lines.
To record a discount on an invoice, create a new item line with the description of discount. Enter the same information as the product or service and in the Unit Price field, enter a negative value, for example -10.00. The VAT and total amounts for this item line calculate as a negative value and reduces the overall total of the invoice.
- 4. If required, enter any notes and terms and conditions.
- 5. To email the invoice > Email > enter the customer’s email address > enter any information you want to appear in the body of the email > Send > Save.
The invoice is sent as a PDF attachment.
- 6. To print the invoice > Print > Save.
Depending on your Internet browser the invoice opens in a new window or tab. You can print or save the invoice from your browser menu.
The invoice appears on the list ready to be paid.
There may be times when you need to send your customer a VAT only invoice.
- 1. Sales > Sales Invoices > Create Invoice.
- 2. Enter the contact details and invoice dates. For more information see the previous section.
- 3. Description > enter a description, for example, VAT only or VAT adjustment > leave the quantity and unit price as 0.00.
- 4. Choose the VAT rate > enter the VAT amount > enter any notes > Save.
To make sure the transaction is picked up on the VAT return, you must choose a VAT rate.
You’ve successfully entered a VAT only invoice and it appears on the sales invoice list.
- 1. Sales > Sales Invoices > click the required invoice.
- 2. Manage Invoice > choose one of the following options:
- Create Credit Note – If you need to issue a credit note, for example because you’ve refunded the sale because the goods were faulty, choose this option.
- Edit – If you need to change the details of an invoice, choose this option > follow from step 2 in the To record a sales invoice section. You can’t edit an invoice if it’s been reconciled for VAT or has a payment recorded against it. For more information, please see our Edit a sales invoice.
- Email – To email a copy of the invoice to your customer, choose this option > enter the customer’s email address > enter any information you want to appear in the body of the email > Send.
You can enter up to two email addresses, one in Email to and the other in Email cc. The email is sent from the Sage One email server not your own email address.
- Print – To print a copy of the invoice, choose this option. Depending on your Internet browser the invoice opens in a new window or tab. You can print or save the invoice from your browser menu.