Prepare for automatic enrolment
The law on workplace pensions has changed. Every employer now has new duties to help their employees in the UK save for retirement. They must automatically enrol certain workers into a pension scheme and make contributions towards it.
It’s never too early to prepare for automatic enrolment and with Payroll, you can start to do this now.
The Pensions Regulator (TPR) is the public body set up by the government to regulate workplace pensions. They write to all employers to let you know when your duties start, this is your staging date.
If you’re not sure what your staging date is, you should find out from The Pensions Regulator (TPR) website.
Once you know your staging date, you must enter it in Payroll. Find out how >
To ensure you are fully prepared for automatic enrolment, you should carry out the following tasks before your staging date.
- Nominate and inform TPR of your pensions contact
- Assess your employees’ worker categories.
- Set up a qualifying pension scheme.
- Communicate the automatic enrolment changes to employees.
You can complete all of the steps now, or complete some of them and return later as follows:
- Go to Summary, then click Prepare for automatic enrolment.
Some employees are excluded from automatic enrolment, such as non UK workers, so you need to indicate this in their employee record. If you are uncertain whether an employee should be excluded or not, you should confirm this with TPR.
To mark an employee as excluded
- 1. Employees > click the required employee.
- 2. Workplace Pensions > Edit.
- 3. Select the Exclude from Auto Enrolment check box > Save > repeat the process for any other excluded employees.
Once you reach your staging date, the following message appears:
“You’ve reached your staging date. Automatic enrolment assessment & related pension contributions will begin in the pay run(s) that includes the staging date. If necessary, you can postpone auto enrolling your eligible employees by up to 3 months.”
If you want to start processing your employees for automatic enrolment now, click Ok.
Alternatively, if you want to postpone all employees, click Postpone.