Government Gateway credentials
Before you submit any information to HMRC you must register for a Government Gateway account and enrol for the PAYE for Employers service.
If you already have an account, you should check it’s still active. If you’re not registered, or if your status is inactive, HMRC will reject your submissions.
Full payment submission (FPS)
You must make a FPS submission each time you pay your employees. As well as employee pay details, it also includes information about starters and leavers so you no longer need to make any P45 or P46 submissions to HMRC.
Employer payment summary (EPS)
You may need to submit an EPS at the end of a P32 reporting period. This specifies any values that may reduce your liability, or to indicate that no one was paid during the reporting period.
Final employer payment summary (EPS)
At the end of the tax year you must submit a final EPS, which contains your employer end of year declarations.
Earlier year update (EYU)
If you need to make corrections to your payroll after you’ve submitted the final FPS for the completed tax year, you must report these corrections to HMRC using an EYU submission.
- 1. Visit www.gateway.gov.uk.
- 2. Click the relevant register option, then click Register.
- 3. Enter your name, email address and password, then click Submit.
- 4. Make a note of your user ID. You can print this if required.
Keep your password and user ID safe. You need to enter these each time you log into the Government Gateway and when you submit online.
- 5. Select the I have made a note of my User ID check box, then click Continue.
- 6. Select PAYE for Employers then click Continue.
- 7. To complete your registration, simply follow the on-screen instructions.
Once you’ve registered, HMRC will send you an activation code. This can take up to seven days and you must activate it within 28 days. If you don’t, you’ll need to register again. Once you’ve activated your account, you can submit online.
If you need further help with registration and activation, please contact the HMRC online services helpdesk on 0300 200 3600.
- 1. Visit www.gateway.gov.uk, then click Enter the Government Gateway.
- 2. Enter your user ID and password, then click Log in.
- 3. Click Manage Services and make sure you’re registered for the PAYE for Employers service.
- 4. Check your tax office number and reference are correct and your status is active.
- 1. Go to Settings, then click Payroll Settings.
- 2. Check or enter your company details are correct, then click Save.
When you complete a pay run, you’re prompted to enter your Government Gateway user ID and password. You can then submit the full payment submission (FPS) to HMRC.
If you’ve entered your user ID and password before and chose to store the information for future submissions, these details don’t appear.
To check these details are correct, click Change on the Confirm Pay Values? window.
If you make any changes to your Government Gateway user ID or password, click the Store Password for future submissions check box.
Alternatively, if you want to keep the existing details, click Use saved login.
When you’re ready to submit the FPS to HMRC, click Confirm.