Process a pay run
You have all the tools you need to keep complete payroll records for your employees with Sage One Payroll. You can process weekly, two weekly, four weekly and monthly payrolls.
When you complete a pay run, you can produce your employees’ payslips and generate a detailed report of your company’s employee costs. You can also submit your information direct to HMRC.
There are four stages to processing your payroll in Sage One:
|Start||Simply check the pay date is correct.|
|Absences||Enter any employee absence details, such as maternity, paternity, adoption and any sickness information.|
|Pay||Enter your employees’ payments and deductions for the current pay run.|
|Confirm||Complete the pay run and submit the full payment submission (FPS). If you’ve also signed up to a Sage One accounts service, as well as Sage One Payroll, the relevant values are posted to your accounts.|
- 1. Go to the Summary tab, then click Process Pay Run.
- 2. Check the pay date is correct. Edit, if required.
- 3. Click Next.
- 4. To record an absence, select the relevant employee then click Add Absence.
- 5. Click the relevant absence type, complete the relevant details then click Save.
- 6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 for each employee you want to record absence details for this pay run, then click Next.
- 7. Select an employee whose pay details you want to review or edit.
The information you entered for the last pay run automatically appears. If the payment and deduction values are the same for this pay run and the information is correct, proceed to step 11.
- 8. To edit or enter payment details, do one of the following:
|Enter a payment value||Depending on the type of payments you have, enter either the hours and rate. Or, if it’s a salary payment, just the rate.|
|Add an existing payment||If you’ve set up a new payment and need to add this to the employee’s pay this pay run, click Add Payment, then click the required payment and enter the relevant amounts.|
|Add a new payment||If you need to use a payment that’s not already set up, click Add Payment, then click Add a new payment and enter the relevant amounts.|
|Remove a payment||To remove a payment you don’t want to use for the current pay run, click the delete button next to the relevant payment.
This doesn’t delete the payment type from Sage One.
If you’ve created a new pension scheme and want to start processing deductions in advance of your automatic enrolment staging date, you can assign the pension scheme to your employees.
- 9. To edit or enter deduction details, do one of the following:
|Enter a deduction value||If applicable, enter the amount of the deduction.|
|Add an existing deduction||To add an existing deduction to the employee’s pay in this pay run, click Add Deduction, then click the required deduction and enter the relevant amount.|
|Add a new deduction||If you need to use a deduction that’s not already set up, click Add Deduction, then click Add a new deduction and enter the relevant amount.
For Stakeholder Pension deduction types, select fixed amount or percentage of pay. This determines the deduction amount.
|Remove a deduction||To remove a deduction from an employee’s pay in the current pay run, click the delete button to the left of the deduction.
This doesn’t delete the deduction type from Sage One.
Once you reach your staging date for automatic enrolment, your employees are assessed every pay period.
- 10. If you don’t want to pay this employee in the current pay run, click the Do not pay check box.
- 11. Repeat steps 7 to 10 for each employee, then click Next.
A detailed overview of the pay run appears. You can open a detailed report to see a breakdown of the amounts calculated. You can also view draft payslips for each employee.
- 12. Once you’ve confirmed the pay values are correct, click Complete Pay Run.
The Confirm Pay Values? option appears and prompts you for your company details and Government Gateway credentials.
If you’ve entered your details before and chose to store the information for future submissions these don’t appear. To check the details are correct clear the Use saved HMRC login check box.
- 13. Enter or check your details, then click Confirm.
The FPS submits automatically and a summary of the completed pay run appears. If the submission fails you should check the error code and resolve it.
If you also subscribe to both Sage One Payroll and Sage One Cashbook, Accounts, Accounts or Accounting, and have enabled payroll integration your staff payments posts to your accounts.
- 14. Choose to print or email your payslips:
- To print a particular employee’s payslip, click the PDF option beside their name.
- To print all employees’ payslips, click Export All PDF Payslips.
- To email an individual employee, click the email option beside the employee’s name. Then update the email message if necessary and click Send Email.
- To email payslips to all your employees, click Export All Payslips then click Email Payslips. If necessary, update the email message, then click Send Email.